Monday 21 June 2010

34. back to art

I've never been very keen on surprises. I hate being caught unprepared and hate even more being the centre of attention. And Fox does know that. So when he told me, a couple of evenings ago,  that he had forgotten to tell me we were invited at Annie's for dinner, I didn't make much of it. We got a bottle of wine, took Mooh for a little walk around the village and slowly the three of us made our way to the Galopin.
We came in and walked into my surprise birthday party. It took me a little while to understand it was all for me, including the children's drawings of the walls congratulating me on my fiftieth birthday. The little rascals. Although my first instinct was to walk out I must admit it was really sweet. Having been away for my birthday, my friends had planned a celebration a month later. Annie cooked my favorite dish, saag chicken, Alain had brought lamb curry and salad and the queen of the desserts, Marina, fruit tiramisus. Food heaven. Stéphane was on time and groomed, and I was really touched by his effort (anyone who knows him will understand. To get him to be on time is impossible, just like bringing my boss to orgasm I imagine).

Fox has set up a temporary studio in one of the bedrooms on the first floor. When we were in London be bought quite a lot of small canvases to start a series of landscapes. I feel extremely proud and happy to see him going back to painting, I just cannot imagine him not doing it. I must also admit that I felt extremely jealous. 
Once he was set up I went downstairs and I looked for my cameras. I picked up my old Nikon, it was covered in dust  and I felt a bit ashamed to have neglected it that much. There is still a roll of film inside with very few pictures taken. I just can't remember the last picture I took with it. I miss having a darkroom at hand, and it will be a long time until I can set up my own at home. For starters, almost all the equipment is still at papa's home up north. Then there is no place suitable at the moment. As for renting one, there's nothing in the region, I checked. I'll just have to be patient. So in the meantime, to keep me occupied, I bought a domain and some space on the net to rebuilt a website where I could show my old pictures. It's not ideal but it will have to do at the moment, if I ever manage to find the digital copies I made of them that is.

And talking about creativity, there is a new blog about the adventures of Mister Blisters that I urge you to read, and to follow. It's funny and witty, I hope you'll support him wholeheartily. Take a peek! http://misterblistersunemployment.blogspot.com.

No comments: