Thursday 24 June 2010

35. the electrician diva


a new squatter
There's been a bit of drama on site lately. I was coming back from work and as usual I went to the classrooms to see if everything was alright and talk to the guys. There I found our English electrician, having won us over with tales of flexibility, sudden unemployment and imminent fatherhood, packing. He looked at me and advised me to find someone else to finish the build, the way you tell someone to take an umbrella before setting off for a walk: calmly, almost with a benevolent smile.

Needless to say that his smile was more vicious than benevolent and that my immediate impulse was to wring his treacherous neck and give him a piece of my mind with all the appropriate expletives, French and English, that I knew (and God knows I know quite a few as anyone who's been in my company while driving will tell you).
Instead I asked him if he realised how deep in shit he would put us into should he leave, and enquiring about any problems I wasn't aware of. He was as much forthcoming as a guilty soul and I quickly understood that we were being held hostage in retaliation for his problems with Stéphane. Having not grown his own pair of balls yet, as regularly demonstrated in his silent dealings with his partner, a weird cross between the Dexter's Lab cartoon character Dexter and Barbapapa's Barbamama, nonetheless  he had the nerve to put our backs against the wall: effectively saying sort out my problems or I leave. I told him to meet me at the bar in a little while to give me time to talk to both Stéphane and Fox, who later assured me that nothing had happened during the day.

We invited him to the bar to talk, telling him that now was a good time as no one was in there. We saw him passing by and going to a friend's house on the place. The little turd kept us waiting two hours. Wringing his neck was back on my mind but Fox convinced me to go easy so when he finally turned up we had a little talk. I was calm, collected and in control, just about. I handled him much like the stereotype of the director handling the star having a fit, feeling insecure. In the end it was resolved, but what he failed to realise is that, when you start a business, reputation is everything, and so far, having disappointed most of his clients and insulted his co-workers, his is rapidly turning against him. We, for one, won't recommend him anymore.
mum keeps an eye on us

Then, shortly after this crisis, I walked in the classrooms to check things out and I discovered we had a squatter. A black redstart mummy decided to lay her eggs in a hole our diva had drilled to fit a double light switch. I feared he might kick a fuss when I asked him to work around the bird and try not to disturb her too much but he happily agreed. Last year we had swallows nesting in there, I think we might put up nesting boxes in the garden to avoid our house being overtaken by squatters. The school having been left to rot for so long, it is not impossible for the birds to have nested there before and returning. It's quite funny though, she lying on her eggs, keeping an eye on us but not taking flight. Now I check on her every morning and first thing coming back from work. You don't hear her complaining...


No comments: