Sunday 4 July 2010

36. truth be told

My friend Barry told me that my last post was a one-sided account and pointed out to me that it wasn't really fair towards our electrician not to explain his issues.
In my opinion his issues are so numerous that even an entire blog dedicated to them would only scratch the surface, requiring the sort of help that only comes with a prescription and a straightjacket but in the spirit of fair-game I'll try to highlight the two main problems he had on site (please bear with me as it is a bit technical):

1.  Our partition walls have a metal frame onto which plasterboard is fixed with screws. A LOT of screws. Now our diva found it very convenient to run and fix his cables in the grooves of the metal frame. His cables were now straight, no longer dangling, and that was probably soothing his OCD. Unfortunately when the plasterboard is fixed onto the above mentioned metal frame, the screws go through the grooves. So while Stéphane and I appreciate the entertainment value of taking down all the plasterboard to find which screw(s) went through which wire(s) and makes the trip switch go everytime we try to switch it back on, I thought of declining the offer and save the small fortune I would spend replacing wires and plasterboard and take Fox to the Valley of the Monkeys instead. So the cables were removed from the grooves, and our diva had a fit. Well, boo-hoo.

2.  Stéphane, seeing that our diva hadn't finish laying his cables on the ground, having taken up another job to which we hadn't objected to, and that the concrete was to be delivered and laid in three weeks time, he kindly informed him that he soon will have to lay the metal mesh that was to be trapped in, and solidify, our new concrete floor. Stéphane reminded him. We reminded him. I believe even Annie reminded him. And everytime he assured us that he would be there Monday, Thursday, tomorrow. A couple of days before the concrete was delivered, our diva turned up, found all 150 m2 of classrooms covered with metal mesh and complained. 

So there, you have it.

2 comments:

seb said...

comment from my friend Teebo (who refuses to register/follow for fear of the KGB):

It was only a matter of time before sparks started to fly between you and the electrician...


Jokes aside, he is one (joke).

Mark said...

Hi there guys. Seb thanks for posting a comment to my vid on my blog. Unfortunately I had to reload the vid, so the comments were lost, so feel free to revisit.

Yikes, sounds like a nightmare with your electrician. I have to say I try to use French artisans as much as possible. But the French electrician I used 5 years ago, was equally troublesome. I hope you find a better one soon.

Bon courage - can't believe you went to Monkey Valley, that is about 10 mins from where I live. :-)

M